Tuesday, July 26, 2016

A Wow for the Russell Street School



First I want to say at 52 years old I want to learn how to perform a powerful and emotional Haka as well as those students from the Russell Street School, beautiful. I perused through different pages and found them to be so individually customized but all having an engaging theme. The common ground that I sensed, more than anything else, was that the posts spoke directly to the readers in a familiar way, not in an “instructional tone.” No doubt, this method is purposeful in speaking with the learners and parents alike, leaving no room for misunderstanding; thus getting everyone involved.

The page I was especially impressed with was “Rm12-14 Poutama.” The posts given were filled with encouraging words such as: growth mindset, brain food, drivers and blockers. These words, at first I had to think about for a bit, express an environment of learning and confidence, I get the feeling when the readers (student or parent) read these posts they understand exactly how it is intended, meaning the instructional language is the same whether given in school or online. My favorite, which I am noting to incorporate into my class, is the “home learning guide,” this gives the readers a basic but meaningful idea of what is expected of the learners while not in class, thus taking all the guess work out of it for the parents. Just when I’ve thought I have reached my creative maximum, this school ensures me that I am never done dreaming up new ideas to make my class run smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. I too was impressed by their Haka--the kids rival the All Blacks :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never seen kids do it, the last time I seen it performed was when our son graduated from basic training in the army.

      Delete