Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Impressions of Russell Street School Blog and Google Site

First of all, wow!  I had actually looked at the Russell Street School blog at the beginning of this class to get ideas for how to use my own blog.  There are so many astounding aspects.  I think the biggest takeaways for me are student involvement as well as teacher feedback.  It is the goal of many educators to have student participation to the fullest, and this seems to provide that.  Everyone likes compliments and these teachers are praising their students and their work directly on the blog.  Parents, students, staff members and the student that was given feedback, are able to see that.  That has to be a good feeling for all involved, but especially for the student who received the positive feedback.  To put the entire school’s educational experience for all to see makes everyone involved held accountable.  I really liked that even Kindergarten students participated. I really liked Room 2 Bright Bugs and Room 3 Tohora! These blogs specifically have given me great ideas for my own blogging as a first grade teacher.  Student involvement may look a little different than it does with older kids, but it still provides an opportunity to participate.  Also, I think that the ease of communication through their Google Site is efficient and at the fingertips of any parent.  This is very well organized and would be extremely helpful for any community. How wonderful, in the terms of communication, would it be to be a parent at this school? What a great use of technology for communication.

After viewing the blog and the Google Site in depth, it made me feel more behind than I thought. In no way do I feel like I need to compare myself to this blog since I am just a beginner blogger. I do think that I can take ideas from here and use it to help me begin my blogging experience once school starts. What a great example of using blogging and technology to pull the students, parents, staff, and community together.  It really is amazing!


8 comments:

  1. It is nice to see the younger students using technology and blogs to write and express themselves! It does make me wonder how to step it up a notch in my own classroom, especially since I teacher 8th grade. I like that you mention the student involvment looks different in different ages, but it is still noticeable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first blog that I feel like I can relate to when considering using a blog as a First Grade teacher. A lot of the blogging world seems to be geared towards upper grade levels, so this was great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the first blog that I feel like I can relate to when considering using a blog as a First Grade teacher. A lot of the blogging world seems to be geared towards upper grade levels, so this was great to see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara, I think it would exciting to see blogs from younger students, both free and more teacher-directed. Such active imaginations have to open up a world of possibility. I wish you luck this year as you implement it with your students!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara, I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't consider myself an avid blogger, but what I can do is take a page from RS and apply it at the start of the school year. What RS has done is a fantastic job of showcasing student learning in a way that allows them express their thoughts and feelings, all while having community involvement. I think that is one way RS has been so successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...showcasing their learning while allowing the students to express their thoughts and feelings...well said.

      Delete
  6. Tara, I think it would exciting to see blogs from younger students, both free and more teacher-directed. Such active imaginations have to open up a world of possibility. I wish you luck this year as you implement it with your students!

    ReplyDelete