Friday, July 29, 2016

Russell Street School - NZ

So this school is doing a great job in using technology and blogs to share events, learning, and activities. It is interesting to see the student blogs that share their learning and events and the school pages that share school information such as sports programs, reporting frameworks, and other school related events such as concerts or celebrations.  They have an excellent support page for e-learning that provides information and help for parents and students regarding cyber safety and digital learning.  I did look at a student page from a class post and was surprised to find out how much information they are allowed to share. I wonder whether sharing of personal information is not covered in cyber safety lessons from the teacher or administrator? I did think the navigational organization was a bit confusing in some class pages that also incorporated student developed pages.

Anyhow I do like how they incorporate google applications in class presentations and use both media and images to share their experiences when blogging. In fact I like how they use the blog as a portfolio of learning not only for students but for classes as well. I suppose I quite enjoyed seeing this example since the infrastructure and technology I am afforded is in the dark ages and it is nice to see a vision and potential of e-learning possibilities for schools and children. This is great example of student centred learning.  Thanks for sharing.

2 comments:

  1. Derek,
    I can relate to your comment about your school is still in the "dark ages." I think it is exciting to see where schools are headed and the possibilities that exist once our technology hurdles are overcome. I did not notice the shared personal information (other than first names). I thought it was interesting that several kids had Kidsedchatnz badges. I looked it up and found that New Zealand has set up a way for kids to use twitter through a class account. I am going to look into if anything like this exists in the US. Seems like a very cool (and safer) way for children to do some microblogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you look at the school blog/website, there's a cybersafety agreement the parents need to sign with the students and there is a list of information they can't share without teacher consent that includes name, address, etc.

    ReplyDelete