Sunday, July 31, 2016

Food for Thought


Katy Cooper, Summer 2016 EdTech 537 student

Walking through the Russell Street School website, blogs and Google Site definitely challenges some of my thinking about the potential benefits of blogging in the classroom. Here are some of my thoughts:

I recognize that the blogging platform has bolstered communication in so many ways. I first notice that between student and teacher, there is a record of interaction and assessment. That can be powerful in reminding students what they did well or what they might need to focus on for future work that is dealing with the same skill. It also can extend the conversation beyond/outside of the classroom. This definitely ups the potential growth opportunities. I can only imagine that this also increases the communication between teachers and parents, with many skills and activities documented and on display, one would think there are fewer misunderstandings between the two. I would also like to think this allows parents to interact with their child differently than if they don’t know what is going on in their classroom during the week. The descriptions, images, and videos of activities and learning provide ample material for parents to continue the conversations at home. Coming from the middle school level, where many parents claim their students are mute at home and share nothing, I can see how this would be a great way to counteract that tendency.

I can imagine that the extra time the teacher puts in to maintaining the blog is worth the benefits it provides. Beyond communication, I can see this type of documentation being an amazing asset when it comes to the new form of teacher evaluations (at least in Washington State). The new evaluation often requires a portfolio of evidence to supplement the administrators observations. What a wonderful resource to access at the end of the year, rather than trying to figure out how you can go back and show your work throughout the year.

I also noticed that many classes have student blogs attached that work as a student portfolio. There are other ways to achieve a similar idea (an electronic portfolio), but I like that thoughts and products are documented as they happen, and might be less likely to be erased or lost. Also, being able to articulate the activity you did and the skill you practiced sounds like a great way to reinforce learning and build skills for life after high school. That is real-world application for even these young students to be practicing on a regular basis.


I do wonder if any of the parents have an issue with pictures of their student being placed on the internet, seemingly in a very public manner. As a parent that might make me nervous, though, a quick adjustment with privacy settings would probably calm my worries. 

6 comments:

  1. I had many of the same impressions about the positive aspects of this school's blogs. I like the idea of using a blog as a form of e-portfolio where students can post work and even reflect on learning in one place. As for the postings of student pictures, in our school, we have the parents/guardians sign a document about students pictures being taken and posted on different forms of media. The parents can check off if they do not want their children in the news or on a website. Wonder if they have something like that? However, I did just see something about people stealing pictures of my friends' children that they had posted and using the pictures on their own facebook. Interesting and yet scary - wonder if it may be safer to refrain posting the students?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have even signed waivers for pictures of my own daughter for her day care (and even the dentist-she took a picture with the tooth fairy), but I think one thing that I thought different is that this school has names and pictures posted in similar places. I suppose they could be changed, but it doesn't seem like it. I might think twice about signing future waivers and ask for clarification about how images are used.

      Delete
  2. In regards to wondering if any parents have any issues with their child's picture being on the internet, I think there are many solutions for that. I know that I had to sign a form in order to allow my daughter's pictures to be posted on Facebook by her preschool. I also know that at the school where I teach, we also have a parent form to allow this sort of thing. I would imagine this school must do the same thing, but maybe not. However, it is a scary thought and privacy settings would probably be the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do understand that for promotional purposed images are great to have, I think I was just surprised at for the types of blogging and frequency of images, that the privacy settings were still seemingly open for us all to view.

      Delete
  3. I had a very similar concern about the fact that there were so many pictures of kids on the internet. It is sad that we live in a world where we are accustomed to being worried about these cute little faces on a school blog. I know that, similar to what Tara said, my school has parents and kids sign a technology waiver. On that waiver, they are either granting permission or not granting permission for their child's picture to be posted online. I imagine something like that had to be signed by parents of this school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, it is an unfortunate reality of the world we live in today. I do agree, the parents have probably signed something, as have I for my own daughter. I will have to proceed more cautiously when doing that in the future just to make sure I fully understand how images will be used and what access to the media will be.

      Delete